Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Christmas Ale Spice Test 1

Status: Soapy.

1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 corn whole allspice
1 tsp white sugar
not sure how I would test orange peel...

Too much cloves, even after I intentionally dialed it down. I didn't expect to have underestimated how strong of a flavor it would have.

Everything else seems about right, though! The ginger is still tingling on my tongue, five minutes later. I can't wait to give this a shot.

This test is the result of having read a Home Brew Talk article on building your own recipes. One of the suggestions that the author had was to make a tea out of the spices or specialty grains you are planning to use in your beer, so you can get a sense of what they taste like together. It helps you work out the balance, too, before testing costs a lot of money. I hope to get the proportion right before I give it my best go in a dark Christmas ale.

Taking suggestions for names, by the way!

1 comment: